Hobart Carnegie Library, also known as the Hobart Historical Society Museum, is a historic Carnegie library in Hobart, Indiana’s Lake County. Franklin Pest Exterminators offer pest control services to all residents and business owners in the Hobart area. The library was constructed between 1914 and 1915 and is a one-story, Tudor Revival-style brick structure. The structure includes a steeply pitched slate gable roof, a polygonal bay with leaded glass windows, and a porch. The construction of the structure was funded by a $16,000 grant from the Carnegie Foundation.
In 1982, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. The Hobart Public Library is Hobart, Indiana’s first public library. It is both the sole Tudor Revival building in Hobart and a Carnegie library. Carnegie Corporation contributed $16,000 to the Women’s Reading Club of Hobart in 1914-1915. A. F. Wickes, an architect born in Illinois, designed during his ten-year residence in Gary. Ringwald Moe, who immigrated to Gary in 1906 from Norway, was contracted to construct the library. He founded a substantial construction enterprise. His business constructed many structures for U.S. Steel subsidiary Indiana Steel, the Gary Methodist Hospital, and the Palace Theater. The Hobart Library was modeled by Floor Plan “A” from the Carnegie Corporation’s brochure “Notes on Library Buildings.” Carnegie developed the booklet because libraries and standards were not prevalent at the time. The window positioning and basement construction recommendations were followed. The only mention of outside aesthetics was a restriction on extravagant or pricey embellishments. There is no precise information on the application of the Tudor Revival style. It is the only known Tudor Revival structure in Hobart. The library constructed a new structure there in 1968 and sold the Carnegie building to the Hobart Historical Society. It has become a museum.
The rectangular building has a steep gable roof. Tudor Revival brick and slate building. The roofline has ogee-shaped returns. The foundation has intricate coursing and Flemish bond brickwork. The east chimney is corbelled. South of the bay window is the main entrance. A roof porch extends over the entryway. East of the entry is a polygonal bay window with five leaded glass panes. Every window has a stained-glass flower. Limestone adorns the brickwork. The bay window has a quatrefoil-decorated half-timbered gable. The west façade has Palladian-style windows and a gable vent. A subterranean expansion modified this building’s façade. A 1969 concrete block addition to the north façade.
The half-story basement is for lectures and parties. The main floor has one large room. East of the reading room was for kids, west for adults. The librarian was beside the door. The Carnegie “A” floor plan places windows high so bookcases can go below. As the east end had a fireplace in the middle of the wall, bookshelves were judged unnecessary. Oak bookcases and woodwork.